Vampires! They might be in your house, raising your energy bills. No, not the kind you see in the movies, and they don’t only come out at night. These are energy vampires, appliances which keep sucking energy even when they’re turned off. Depending on what you have in your home, these may be making up as much as 20 percent of your energy bill! Fortunately, slaying them is as simple as removing their little fangs (prongs) from the outlets.
Common Energy Vampires
- Big, boxy plugs, like phone chargers. These wall warts can consume electricity even when their devices are off. Actually, they can consume electricity even when they’re not connected to their phones!
- Power bricks. You know, the ones where the cord plugs into the wall, and midway through, there’s a big black box? A lot of laptop power cords have these bricks, as do some TVs and some cable equipment. These cords draw electricity as long as they’re plugged in.
- If a device has a light, it probably draws power when it’s plugged in. Same for equipment with a clock.
- Gadgets that turn on instantly with a remote control may be energy vampires, drawing energy to power themselves as they wait for your signal.
- Video game consoles, DVD players, sound systems and other entertainment equipment should all be unplugged when not in use.
One easy way to handle all these things is to plug everything into a surge protector and turn them off when you’re not using the devices. Some new “smart” power strips can actually turn off power to idle appliances automatically!
If you want to learn more about keeping your energy costs low, give us a call at Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning! We’re happy to help our central Florida neighbors save.
By ScottsAir |
Posted in Energy Savings, Thing You Should Know, Uncategorized
Tags: Central Florida, energy bills, energy savings, energy vampires