Indicators That Your Existing Heating System May Be Ready for Replacement
If you’re like me, you’re probably reading this with one eye closed. After all, any time you read anything with the word “replacement”, especially “furnace replacement,” it probably doesn’t spell good financial news.
But you still have another eye open, so I’ll try to be as gentle and honest as possible as I share some of the telltale signs that may indicate your furnace is on its last leg.
But first, do three quick math calculations:
- Determine exactly how old your furnace is. If it’s more than 20 years old, it’s probably running on borrowed time. But if it’s in that “gray” area of about 15 years old, you might consider replacing it with more efficient Energy Star certified furnace.
- Add up all the money you’ve spent on furnace repairs in the last two or three years. (Don’t factor in regular, annual maintenance checks.) Like old cars, old furnaces become fussy and prone to frequent breakdowns the last few years of their life span. The repair bill total alone might demonstrate that you’re fighting a losing battle against furnace replacement.
- Review your energy bills. Take into account rate increases, of course, but if your heating bills have been going up while your usage has remained fairly constant, this is a good indicator that your aging furnace isn’t working as efficiently as it should.
With these figures as a backdrop, keep that eye open as you consider the other signs of a faltering furnace:
- It’s rusting or cracking.
- It’s making loud or unusual noises it hasn’t made before.
- It’s spewing dust, dirt, soot or rust.
- It’s cycling on and off in an unusual manner.
- The furnace flame has changed from blue to yellow (a potential sign of carbon monoxide).
- Your home is heating unevenly or is more humid than normal.
Yes, taking stock of your furnace can be an eye-opening experience, but furnace replacement can be surprisingly easy when you call Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning. We’ll size your home, help you find the most economical solution and then encourage you to train both eyes on your new, blazingly efficient furnace.
Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning is a full-service heating and air conditioning company and a Bryant® Factory Authorized Dealer in Central Florida. Whether you need repair, maintenance, or installation of a new heating or cooling system, we provide efficient, cost-effective, and professional service. When it’s hot, call Scott!Tags: energy bills, furnace, heating and cooling, hvac system, orlando florida
Categorised in: Furnaces