Hey, everyone! How’s your spring going? Are you checking the weather to see if it’s good beach day or might be better for just staying indoors? Are you dreading the sweltering summer heat that’s on the horizon? However you’re handling these warming months, if you haven’t scheduled your A/C maintenance, you should do it now. Your air conditioner isn’t going to get a moment’s rest once summer hits.
Here’s what to do to get your A/C ready for the cooling season:
- Change the air filter. You don’t want a clogged filter preventing that cool air from making its way through your home.
- Vacuum the air conditioner’s grill, as well as the vents around your house. Check them for any visible obstructions. That includes obstructions in the form of badly placed furniture!
- Check the unit to make sure there’s no visible (or smellable) signs of mold or mildew.
- When the unit is safely off, clean the evaporator coils. You can vacuum them with a soft brush attachment and clean them with soap and warm water, but be careful not to bend them out of shape.
- Check the air conditioner’s drainage hole to make sure it isn’t clogged. Your A/C will make water condense out of the air as the air cools, and that water needs somewhere to go. If it collects inside the unit, it could become a breeding ground for mold and mildew.
- Make sure your outdoor unit isn’t obstructed by any aggressive vegetation. If possible, make sure it’s getting shade from a tree, awning or umbrella.
- Call your HVAC professionals in to give the unit a look! They can take care of all the things you don’t want to, like inspecting the fuses and the wiring and checking to make sure the thermostat is communicating with the HVAC system well.
To schedule your A/C maintenance today, before it gets unbearably hot outside, give us a call at Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning!
Image via Shutterstock.com
By ScottsAir |
Posted in Service and Maintenance
Tags: AC maintenance, energy efficiency, HVAC professional, thermostat