AC Not Cooling Properly? Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning Offers Possible Causes and Solutions
Every homeowner knows that air conditioning systems don’t last forever (12 years on average) and the moment the AC fails is usually when you need it the most, especially in the middle of a Florida summer! Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning, one of Central Florida’s leading AC companies, wants you to know that not every system malfunction needs a pricy fix. Many problems are DIY or can be handled by the pros at Scott Air.
Here’s a list of common air conditioning warning signs, their likely causes and fixes.
- AC Won’t Turn On – Sometimes the most likely culprit is the easiest to fix — the thermostat isn’t set correctly, or power isn’t reaching the AC unit. Make sure that the thermostat is set to AC or “cool,” that the temperature setting is correct, and that the battery is fresh. Second, check the circuit breaker — it could simply be a tripped fuse.
- AC is Not Cool Enough — If you aren’t comfortable, the problem usually can be traced to issues with airflow. The first thing to do is change the filter which you should be doing every 30-60 days as a part of regular maintenance anyway. Next, on the outside unit, make sure there’s at least 24 inches of clearance on the sides and 5 feet on top of the unit. Also, check to make sure there are no obstructions to the home’s air vents.
- Utility Bills are Abnormally High — A spike in operating costs typically signals inefficient operation. After a dirty filter, the most likely culprit is a choked condensing coil. Located within the outdoor unit, the coil has countless cooling fins — much like a car radiator — that can accumulate dust and debris. You may need to call Scott Air for a tune-up.
- Weird Noises During Operation – Do you hear a rattle or ticking when the AC is turned on? It might be little more than a loose screw or could be caused by a broken blower motor (inside) or bent fan blade (outdoors). If you’re lucky, a simple tightening here and lubricating there will fix the problem. If not, you might require a new fan motor or fan blade.
- The Air Coming Out of the Vents Doesn’t Feel as Cold as it Used to – The Possible cause of this problem is the refrigerant lines aren’t insulated. The outdoor unit is connected to the indoor system by two copper refrigerant lines, which should be covered with insulating sleeves. Make sure that they are. Also, the system may need its refrigerant re-charged.
- The AC Unit will not turn on at all – This is more than likely a burnt-out compressor. The only fix for this is a replacement of the equipment, which includes various small parts, new Freon, and labor.
“We can usually repair an air conditioning system to help extend its life, however, there may come a time when you need to replace with a new system it in order to avoid spending more money on repairs from year to year,” said Scott, president and founder. “When that time arrives, our experts consider factors such as size, shape, and orientation of your home, to determine the perfect system for your home. Our no pressure, no obligation quote will include all the elements needed to complete the job so you know exactly what you’re getting and exactly what it will cost – with no surprises.”
Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning is a full-service heating and air conditioning company and a Bryant® Factory Authorized Dealer in Central Florida. Whether you need repair, maintenance, or installation of a new heating or cooling system, we provide efficient, cost-effective, and professional service. When it’s hot, call Scott!