Setting your Programmable Thermostat for Maximum Comfort and Savings
A programmable thermostat in your home is the best way to maximize both comfort and savings. Of course, you need to program the thermostat correctly to get the most out of it.
Here are a few tips for using your programmable thermostat wisely.
- Program energy-saving setbacks: While the home is vacant during the day, set the thermostat back by about 10 degrees with a program in place to resume a comfortable temperature before you get home. Setback periods of eight hours or longer provide the most energy savings.
- Use the hold setting sparingly: You can override any program without erasing it by using the hold setting. However, the more often you override settings, the more you end up paying on your utility bills, so use this feature sparingly!
- Set the vacation hold when you’re out of town: For extended absences, use the permanent/vacation hold to override all regularly scheduled settings on your programmable thermostat. This prevents you from heating or cooling an empty home for several days.
- Avoid cranking the temperature way up or down: Unless you have a variable-speed air handler, changing the temperature by more than just a degree or two won’t cool off your home any faster. All it does is risk going beyond your comfort zone and wasting energy.
- Remember to change the batteries: Not all thermostats run on battery power, but if yours does, make changing the batteries a yearly habit. Some units have an indicator that tells you when it’s time to change out the batteries so you don’t have to remember.
We hope these tips will help you get the most out of your programmable thermostat. But if you have any questions, give us a call at Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning. We’re always happy to help!
Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning is a full-service heating and air conditioning company and a Bryant® Factory Authorized Dealer in Central Florida. Whether you need repair, maintenance, or installation of a new heating or cooling system, we provide efficient, cost-effective, and professional service. When it’s hot, call Scott!Tags: energy savings, heating and cooling, hvac system, hvac technology, orlando florida, programmable thermostat
Categorised in: Energy Savings