Heat Pumps Work Work Well in Florida Homes — Here Are the Pros and Cons
At Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning, we understand why enthusiasm is growing for heat pumps. During the hottest months of the year, a heat pump literally pumps heat from a home to the outdoors so that the home stays cool, dry and comfortable. In the winter, the pump changes course and pumps heat from the outdoors to the indoors.
While we’re huge fans of heat pumps, we want to be sure to give you both the pros and cons to consider. We at Scott’s don’t think we’d be looking out for your best interests if we didn’t give you the full picture.
First, the positives:
- Heat pumps, which run on electricity, are extremely energy efficient.
- The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) says most homeowners can trim between 10 and 30 percent from their energy bills after installing a heat pump.
- Heat pumps can dehumidify the air with terrific efficiency, sometimes even better than central air conditioners.
- Heat pumps are also effective at removing dust and particles from the air, and many asthma and allergy sufferers have noticed the difference.
- The presence of a heat pump can add to your home’s resale value.
What some companies may not tell you is that:
- Heat pumps can be noisy. While the interior fan emits a low hum, the compressor and fan on the exterior of the pump can be loud.
- As you might guess, it gets trickier for a heat pump to pull heat from the outdoor air as the air gets colder. This means that you may be less satisfied with your heat pump’s performance in the winter. It all depends on how cold the winter temperatures become.
- A heat pump needs a large, unobstructed area so that air can move around it freely. But all this circulating air can cause “mini drafts” in the immediate area.
In the end, you may be wondering which side Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning is on when it comes to the topic of heat pumps. That’s easy. We’re on your side. Call us for a consultation and we’ll evaluate your Central Florida home and your needs to see if a heat pump is right for you.Tags: heat pumps, heating and cooling, hvac system, orlando florida
Categorised in: Heat Pumps