How to Manage Programmable Thermostat Settings to Optimize Energy Consumption
Most people spend a lot of extra money on heating and cooling, and don’t even think about it. When they leave for work or school, or fall asleep, their air conditioners keep working away at keeping the house cool (or the furnace works at keeping it warm, during the winter). If you think about it, it doesn’t make much sense: no one’s at home to enjoy it during the day, and sheets and blankets are usually fine at night! But people still pay for all those summer days when the A/C fights against the summer sun.
Installing a programmable thermostat lets you cut down on that extra expense with no real hassle. The thermostat will turn down the heating or cooling during times when you’re not likely to be home, and bring your home back to a comfortable temperature when you’re scheduled to get back. Just that much can lower your energy bills dramatically, but here are ways to manage your programmable thermostat settings to really maximize savings:
- Aim for long periods of time at one temperature, rather than a bunch of changes throughout the day. For example, it’s better to have one temperature all day while you’re gone, instead of switching back to your regular temperature if you stop home for lunch.
- If you stay home one day, on a sick day for example, use the thermostat’s “override” function to temporarily change the heating or cooling. That way, you don’t have to redo the programmable thermostat settings and risk forgetting to change them back.
- Similarly, if you’re out on vacation, use the “hold” or “vacation” setting to keep the house at an appropriate temperature. That way, when you get home, you can go straight back to your usual routine.
- Remember: how low or high you set your thermostat doesn’t change how fast your home cools down or heats up.
- If your home has a zoning system, remember that you’ll need a programmable thermostat for each zone!
We here at Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning can help you get the most out of your programmable thermostat settings. Call us today!
Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning is a full-service heating and air conditioning company and a Bryant® Factory Authorized Dealer in Central Florida. Whether you need repair, maintenance, or installation of a new heating or cooling system, we provide efficient, cost-effective, and professional service. When it’s hot, call Scott!Tags: energy savings, Florida, heating and cooling, programmable thermostat settings, thermostats