5 Simple Ways to Take Control and Reduce Your Monthly Energy Bills
If you think about it, it makes sense that almost half of the average home’s energy bills are directly traced to heating and cooling. After all, you’re fighting against forces of nature like the sun and the seasons. And here in central Florida, the sun is nothing to scoff at!
But just because you’re fighting an epic struggle against the outdoors doesn’t mean you can’t set yourself up for a victory. Quite the opposite, in fact, as there are ways to reduce energy bills that most homeowners can apply. Here are five simple ones:
- Seal up your air leaks using caulk and weatherstripping. These are affordable ways to keep outside air out and indoor, conditioned air indoors, and can be done over a weekend or a productive evening. Caulking goes on non-moving joints like windowsills, and weatherstripping is used for moving locations like doors.
- Have a contractor look over your ducts and vents. If your conditioned air is escaping into your attic or wall cavities, you’ll reap less benefit from your HVAC system, and have to run it harder to compensate!
- Program your thermostat if you’ve got a programmable one, and if you don’t, either upgrade or get in the habit of turning the thermostat back when you’re out of the house or asleep.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient light bulbs! In addition to requiring less energy to light your home, compact florescents put out less heat than incandescent light bulbs, which keeps your home cooler. You can reduce energy bills two ways by changing your lighting choices!
- Turn down your water heater, especially if you have problems with scalding water. Heat is continually lost from tank water heaters, which means more warmth for your air conditioner to compensate for and more heat you have to pour into the water heater. Setting the heater back 20 degrees could cut your energy bills by 10 percent.
All of us at Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning are happy to help you work out a plan to reduce energy bills. Call us today!
Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning is a full-service heating and air conditioning company and a Bryant® Factory Authorized Dealer in Central Florida. Whether you need repair, maintenance, or installation of a new heating or cooling system, we provide efficient, cost-effective, and professional service. When it’s hot, call Scott!Tags: air leaks, ductwork, energy bills, energy efficiency, orlando florida, thermostats, water heaters