How to Improve the Efficiency of the A/C System in Your Orlando Home
Do you have one of those friends—or are you one of those people—who pays close attention to what car speeds get the best gas mileage on the interstate? Or do you have all your lights on motion-sensitive timers to turn them off when they’re not in use? Optimizing efficiencies is just fun sometimes. And when it comes to your A/C system, which accounts for about half your home energy use, if you can improve cooling efficiency you can save a lot. Here’s how:
- Replace the air filter. When the pollen counts are high, change it more often. If the filter looks dirty, change it. Let the air flow freely through your house and you’ll not only feel cooler, but your air conditioner won’t have to work as hard.
- Don’t skip annual maintenance. You might think “If it ain’t broke, why fix it?” Maintenance keeps the HVAC system from breaking in the future. It can also catch and fix little problems that don’t make your system fail completely, but still make it run less efficiently.
- Seal ductwork. Unless you feel strongly that your crawl spaces and building cavities should be air conditioned, you should seal and insulate ductwork in these areas. This will improve cooling efficiency by making sure that cool air stays cool on its way to your living areas… and that it stays cool.
- Go for Energy Star equipment. There have been some big improvements in cooling technology in the past few years, including a refrigerant upgrade that’s better for the environment and better for system efficiency. If you’re considering an upgrade this year, go for the life-long savings a high-efficiency A/C can offer you.
- Have an HVAC professional check the installation. If an HVAC unit wasn’t installed correctly, it may work, but not as well as it should. An improper installation could cost you 30 percent of your efficiency.
To learn more about how to improve cooling efficiency in your Orlando area home, get in touch with us at Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning!
Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning is a full-service heating and air conditioning company and a Bryant® Factory Authorized Dealer in Central Florida. Whether you need repair, maintenance, or installation of a new heating or cooling system, we provide efficient, cost-effective, and professional service. When it’s hot, call Scott!Tags: cooling tips, ductwork, energy efficiency, energy star, HVAC professional
Categorised in: Energy Savings