Scott’s Offers Tips for Hiring an Air Conditioning Technician
Your air conditioning system represents a significant investment, and in Florida, without a doubt, it is the most important appliance in house. So, when your AC is on the fritz it’s important to find a competent technician to repair it.
Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning, one of Central Florida’s leading AC companies, has some tips to help you pick the right HVAC company.
- Do Your Homework — Find out about license and insurance requirements for contractors doing work in Florida. Before you call a contractor, know the model of your current system and its maintenance history. Also, make note of any uncomfortable rooms to help the tech better understand your AC needs.
- Call references — Ask contractors for customer references and call them. Ask about the contractor’s installation or service performance, and if the job was completed on time and within budget.
- Ask About Experience — Find out how much experience your potential contractor has either by contacting them directly or checking their website. Some relevant questions to consider include:
- How long have they been in business?
- Are they full-time or part-time contractors?
- What experience do they have with your brand AC system in particular?
- What additional training have they had recently to keep up with changing technology?
- Going Green? – If conservation is important to you, be sure to ask the company about their environmental friendliness. Find out what they do to promote energy and water conservation, and whether they carry Energy Star qualified products. A good air conditioning technician should be able to provide you information about the efficiency of the system and its environmental impacts.
- Ask About Financing – New system installations will most likely require a deposit and possible payments. Be sure that you read all the fine print and find out exactly what costs you will be responsible for; also double-check that you can afford to add the regular payments to your budget.
- Find special offers — A heating and cooling system is one of the largest purchases you’ll make as a homeowner. Keep your costs down by checking around for available rebates on energy-efficient ENERGY STAR qualified heating and cooling equipment.
- Expect a home evaluation — The contractor should spend significant time inspecting your current system and home to assess your needs. A bigger system isn’t always better; a contractor should size the heating and cooling system based on the size of your house, level of insulation, and windows. A good contractor will inspect your duct system for air leaks and insulation and measure airflow to make sure it meets manufacturer’s specifications.
- Get written, itemized estimates — When comparing contractors’ proposals, be sure to compare cost, energy efficiency and warranties. A lowest price may not be the best deal if the contractor does shoddy work or the system installed is not the most energy efficient.
“Bottom-line, you need to do your research in advance or you could end up paying an unscrupulous AC company for poor work or overpaying a service tech for a simple repair,” said Scott. “Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning has been serving Central Florida homeowners for years and our reputation is impeccable. Our highly trained technicians get your repairs done as quickly as possible and there are never any hidden charges.”Tags: hvac system, hvac technician, orlando florida