Taking Care of the Heat Pump in Your Orlando Area Home Is the Key to Comfort
Taking care of your heat pump isn’t only the key to your ongoing comfort; it can also extend your system’s lifespan. And contrary to what many people think, regular maintenance is quite straightforward.
Before you do anything, grab your owner’s manual. Familiarize yourself with the location of key components. Switch the pump to “off” and turn off the power. Make sure that the area around the pump is free of debris and obstructions. Eliminate any dirt, leaves or twigs, as they can get in the way of airflow. If the condensate pan, drain and trap are dirty, clean them with a 50-50 solution of white vinegar and water. Change the filter once a month, though you may be able to go as long as three months if you run the pump infrequently.
If your heat pump is malfunctioning, you may wish to troubleshoot certain problems yourself. If your heat pump isn’t turning on or isn’t heating or cooling:
- Check the power source – to ensure that the circuit breaker hasn’t tripped – and the switch.
- Adjust the temperature setting on the thermostat. Move it up or down 5 degrees until the pump turns on.
- Inspect the air registers in your home to ensure that they’re open.
If the blower on your heat pump isn’t working:
- Check the fan function and switch it to “off.” If it’s already “off,” the switch probably needs to be adjusted.
- Inspect the belt that connects the motor to the blower. If it’s worn or frayed, it probably needs to be replaced.
If your heat pump is sputtering or sounds like it’s running fast:
- Double-check the thermostat. The reading may be in conflict with the setting or the thermostat may need repair.
- Check the filter.
If your heat pump is making grinding noises:
- Shut it off immediately.
- Ensure that the cover panels are screwed on tightly.
Call Scott’s Air if you run into problems or cannot get your heat pump working again. Try not to become frustrated; remember that you don’t work on heat pumps every day, but we do! And we’re happy to help to get yours running again, too.
Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning is a full-service heating and air conditioning company and a Bryant® Factory Authorized Dealer in Central Florida. Whether you need repair, maintenance, or installation of a new heating or cooling system, we provide efficient, cost-effective, and professional service. When it’s hot, call Scott!Tags: air filters, energy efficiency, heat pump, heating and cooling, orlando florida, thermostats
Categorised in: Heat Pumps