My Home AC Unit Needs A Huge Repair. Should I Repair Or Replace?
If your home’s AC unit breaks down and needs a major repair, you may face a tough decision: should you repair it, or replace it altogether? This article will help you make an informed decision by exploring the pros and cons of each option.
Benefits of Repairing Your Home AC Unit
More affordable than replacing the entire unit
- Repairing your home AC unit can be a cost-effective option, especially if the issue is minor and can be fixed without replacing the entire unit. Even if more extensive repairs are needed, the cost may still be less than the cost of purchasing a new unit.
Can extend the life of your existing AC unit
- Regular maintenance and repairs can help extend the lifespan of your AC unit. By addressing issues early on, you can prevent more extensive damage that could shorten the unit’s overall lifespan. This can help you get more value out of your existing unit and delay the need for a replacement.
Helps maintain a comfortable temperature in your home
- An efficiently operating AC unit is essential for maintaining a comfortable temperature in your home. Repairing your AC unit can help ensure that it’s working at optimal levels, providing reliable and consistent cooling throughout your home.
This prevents the need for a costly emergency replacement
- Ignoring small issues with your AC unit can eventually lead to bigger, more expensive problems. By repairing your unit early, you can prevent a catastrophic failure that could require an emergency replacement, which is often more expensive and inconvenient.
Risks of Repairing Your Home AC Unit
It may only provide a temporary fix to a larger problem
- Sometimes, repairing your AC unit can only be a temporary solution to a larger problem. While a repair may solve the immediate issue, it may not address underlying problems that could cause issues in the future.
Could require more frequent repairs in the future
- If your AC unit is already old or showing signs of wear and tear, repairing it may only provide a short-term solution. In this case, you may find yourself in need of more frequent repairs in the future, which can add up in costs over time.
Older units may become less efficient even after repairs
- Even with repairs, older AC units may not be as efficient as newer models. This means that even if you repair your unit, you may not be getting the most out of your investment in terms of energy savings.
Repairs can be costly if multiple components need replacement
- If your AC unit requires multiple repairs, the costs can quickly add up. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to replace the unit entirely instead of continuing to make repairs.
Benefits of Replacing Your Home AC Unit
Improved energy efficiency can lead to significant cost savings on energy bills
Newer models often come with more advanced features and improved performance
- Replacing your AC unit with a newer model can bring benefits beyond just cooling your home. Some newer models come with features such as smart thermostats, which can be controlled from your smartphone or integrate with home automation systems. Newer models can also provide better overall cooling performance and air quality.
Reduced need for repairs and maintenance
- As AC units age, they require more maintenance and repairs to keep them running smoothly. By replacing your old unit with a new one, you can avoid these costs and headaches for several years.
Increased comfort with more consistent cooling throughout your home
- Newer AC units are often better equipped to cool your home evenly and consistently, leading to more comfortable temperatures throughout your home.
Newer units are better for the environment and can reduce your carbon footprint
- These AC units are generally more energy-efficient, which means they use less energy to cool your home. By using less energy, you’ll be doing your part to help reduce your carbon footprint.
Risks of Replacing Your Home AC Unit
Higher upfront cost compared to repairing your AC unit
- The upfront cost of replacing your AC unit can be significantly higher than the cost of repairing it. This cost can be a significant burden for some homeowners, especially if they weren’t planning on replacing their unit.
May require additional modifications to your home’s HVAC system
- Depending on the specifics of your home’s HVAC system, replacing your AC unit may require additional modifications, such as replacing ductwork or upgrading electrical systems.
Installation may take longer, leaving your home without AC during the process
- Installing a new AC unit can take longer than repairing an existing unit. This means you may be without air conditioning for a day during the installation.
Costly, if not planned for in your budget
- Replacing your AC unit can be a significant expense, and it’s important to plan for it in your budget to avoid financial stress. Without proper planning and budgeting, the cost of replacing your AC unit can be a significant burden on your finances.
Need An Appointment To Replace Your AC Unit?
Upgrade To A High-Efficiency SEER2 AC Unit
If your home AC unit is old and inefficient, it may be more cost-effective to replace it with a new, high-efficiency SEER2 unit. SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) is a measure of the unit’s cooling output compared to the energy it uses, and a higher SEER rating means greater energy efficiency and cost savings over time.
SEER2 units are among the most efficient on the market.
By upgrading to a new SEER2 unit, you can enjoy lower energy bills and a more comfortable home, with better temperature control and improved air quality.
At Scott’s Air, we offer a wide selection of SEER2 AC units from Bryant Heating & Cooling Systems. Our experienced technicians can help you select the best unit for your home’s size and needs, and provide professional installation and ongoing maintenance to ensure optimal performance and energy efficiency.
If you’re considering upgrading to a high-efficiency SEER2 AC unit, contact us today to schedule a consultation (note: the link will change to phone number on mobile).
We’re here to help you make the best decision for your home and budget.
NEW Special rate of 0% APR with 12 equal monthly payments
– or –
Special rate of 9.99% APR with 120 equal monthly payments
Factors To Consider
The age of the unit is a crucial consideration. If your unit is more than 10 years old, it may be reaching the end of its lifespan, and repairs may only be a temporary solution.
The efficiency of your current unit is also important. If your unit has a low SEER rating (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio), it may be more cost-effective to replace it with a newer, more efficient unit.
Trust Scott’s Air for Your AC Unit Repair or Replacement
To schedule an appointment with our team or to learn more about our AC unit repair and replacement services, please fill out the form or give us a call. We’re always here to help you keep your home cool and comfortable.
Scott’s Heating & Air Conditioning is a full-service heating and air conditioning company and a Bryant® Factory Authorized Dealer in Central Florida. Whether you need repair, maintenance, or installation of a new heating or cooling system, we provide efficient, cost-effective, and professional service. When it’s hot, call Scott!Tags: AC maintenance, AC repairs